Skype and Video Interviews
Technology has changed the way businesses work and some larger companies may require you to take part in a Skype or video interview as part of their recruitment process. It’s important that you are prepared so here are some tips to help you:-
Top Tops for Video and Skype Interviews
- Download and check Skype or any other programs that you may be asked to use before your interview. Do a test to check that it works.
- If you're using a laptop make sure its charged or plugged in as you don't want the battery to run out during the interview.
- Have a notepad and pen handy for making notes. You may like to have some notes on the company from any research you've done so you can refer to them.
- Have your CV to hand as well as the interviewer may well quiz you on it during the interview.
- Is your phone turned off? The last thing you want is for it to ring during the interview!
- Make sure you know who will be calling you and when. Sign in early so you are ready when they call.
- If you are having any technical difficulties, be honest and rearrange for another time.
- Try to find a space where you won’t be disturbed. If you don’t have a quiet place at home think about an alternative, such as a room at school/sixth form/college etc.
- Check what’s behind you and make sure that your potential employer will not see a messy bedroom or other things you would not want them to see.
- Check the lighting, make sure the lighting is above or in front of you otherwise the interviewer may not be able to see you clearly.
- Consider what you will wear, you need to treat a Skype or video interview the same as any other interview and dress accordingly. Sitting in your pj’s won’t create the right impression!
- Think about your body language, make good eye contact, sit up straight and have good posture.