16 to 19 Bursary Fund

16-19 Bursary Fund

If you think you might struggle with the costs for education or training you may be eligible for a bursary.

There are two types of bursary, a Vulnerable student bursary and a Discretionary bursary.

Vulnerable student bursary

To claim a vulnerable student bursary you must be:

  • under 19 at the start of the academic year you want a bursary for

  • studying at school or college, or on an unpaid training course

You could get up to £1,200 if at least one of the following applies:

  • you’re in or recently left local authority care

  • you get Income Support or Universal Credit in your name

  • you’re disabled and get both Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (or Universal Credit as a replacement for ESA) and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name

Discretionary bursary

You could get a discretionary bursary if you need financial help but don't qualify for a vulnerable student bursary.  Your education or training provider decides how much you get and what it's used for.

Norfolk's school sixth forms, colleges and training providers will decide who should receive a bursary, how much and when it will be paid.  They are for students who need most help with the costs of transport, food and equipment. 

To find out more about the 16-19 bursary fund

Speak to the college, sixth form or training provider you want to apply to

Go to 16-19 bursary fund pages on GOV.UK