Other financial help

Other sources of funding

Funding type Description For more information

Bursaries, scholarships and awards

These are extra funds that you don't have to pay back and which are paid by the universities and colleges themselves.  Each has their own rules about eligibility and what type of bursary, scholarship or award is available.  They may be linked to particular courses, aimed at certain groups of students or reward academic success.

Find details of each university's bursary scheme in its prospectus, on its website and on UCAS



Hardship funds

Available direct from your university or college if you are in financial hardship and need extra help to start a course or stay in higher education.  Your university or college decides if you are eligible and how much you can get. In England they are also referred to as Access to Learning Fund.

Find information at GOV UK's University and College Hardship Funds

Part-time courses

If you are planning to study part-time, you can get a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan. You may be able to get help from universities or colleges themselves if you are on a low income.

Find information for part-time students on the GOV.UK Student Finance pages. 

NHS bursary if you're studying to be a doctor or dentist

You must be accepted for a place on a full or part-time NHS-funded course which will lead to you registering as a doctor or dentist.  You can apply for an NHS bursary in the later years of your course.

For details visit the NHS Business Services Authority website or What is an NHS bursary? article by Which? University.

Nursing, midwifery and allied health professionals

Students on nursing, midwifery and other allied health professional pre-registration courses from September 2020 will receive a payment of at least £5,000 a year, to help with living costs, which will not need to be paid back.

Read the new funding facts from the NHS Business Services Authority

Sponsored degrees and sponsorship

Some employers offer school leaver schemes where you study for a degree as well as spending time working for the company.

Some universities provide degrees that are sponsored by a number of employers or professional associations.


Many of these are now changing to Higher or Degree Apprenticeships.

Look at individual companies' and professional bodies' websites or ask the admissions officer at any university or college you're interested in to see if the course you are applying for attracts sponsors.  Also try Sponsored Degrees in the UK from The Scholarship Hub

Care leavers

If you have been in Norfolk County Council's care, Norfolk Children's Services will pay you a Higher Education Bursary of £2,000 as long as the course you plan to do lasts for at least two academic years. This will be paid to you in instalments over the duration of your course.  You may also get help with equipment that you need for your course, accommodation costs and travel.  You are also entitled to the full Maintenance Loan.

Talk to your Children's Services Personal Adviser about what financial help and support you may be entitled to.  Find more information by downloading the Helping You Reach Higher factsheet from Become, or take a look at the Propel website


Students with disabilities

If you have a disability, long-term or mental health condition, or a specific learning difficulty (eg dyslexia) you can apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).  This is extra financial help on top of any standard student finance you get which you don't have to repay.  The amount you get depends on your individual needs and not on family income.


Many universities and colleges have disability advisers who provide advice and support to all disabled students on issues such as finance, welfare and academic matters.

Go to GOV.UK Disabled Students' Allowance guide.  There is also useful information on Disability Rights UK website.


Also enquire about disability support when you are researching universities and colleges.

Charitable trusts

You may be able to apply for extra funding from charitable trusts.  They are usually local and have specific application criteria.

Details of local charitable trusts that provide grants and awards can be found in your local library, also see if they have a copy of The Guide to Educational Grants.  Also try your university or college or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Part-time work

Many students work part-time while at university or college to help with their living costs.  Do make sure you don't let your studies suffer by working extra hours.

Some universities and colleges have 'jobshops' to help with finding work.

It's also worth checking the following websites for information on additional funding:-