What help can I get if I have additional needs?

I've got special educational needs - who can help me?

Talk to your SENCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) at school or your form tutor who will help you with your option choices.

If you have a Statement of SEN, your annual review in Year 9 may be used to talk about changing your Statement of SEN to one of the new Education Health Care Plans (EHC Plans). 

At the meeting you and your parents/carers will talk about how you are getting on at school, your post-16 choices and start thinking about how you can be helped to prepare for adulthood.  This means that you should be given the opportunity to talk about your aspirations and abilities, what you would like to do when you leave post-16 education or training and the support you will need to achieve your ambitions.

These are some of the topics that might be talked about:

  • The support you need to meet your goals around employment, independent living and housing, friends and community participation and health and wellbeing.
  • What might be the best post-16 provision to help you achieve your career aspirations and achieve your goals.  This may include inviting representatives from post-16 institutions to review meetings.
  • Planning your transition to adult social and health services, if needed.
  • How the outcomes in your EHC Plan will be achieved and what new skills you need to learn in order to achieve your goals.

Don't forget, this meeting will be all about planning for your future and what support you will need.  The meeting should give you the chance to say what you would like to do when you leave school and as an adult.  Your school's careers co-ordinator and SENCo will work together to support you with your ideas and help you to plan your transition to post-16 education or training at the end of Year 11.

Find out more about the SEND Local Offer and preparing for adulthood.