A Traineeship is an education and training programme with work experience which will give you the skills and experience that employers are looking for.
What do you do on a Traineeship?
Traineeships are tailored to your individual needs and will include:
- Work preparation training to make sure you are ready and have developed the confidence for the first step in your career. This will cover areas such as job search, CV writing, interview preparation and interpersonal skills.
- English and maths support (unless you already have a GCSE A*-C in these subjects) so that you have the literacy and numeracy skills needed in the workplace.
- A high quality work placement where you will develop your workplace skills and get experience of the world of work.
Who are they for?
You could be suitable for a Traineeship if you:
- are unemployed (or work less than 16 hours per week) and have little work experience
- are motivated to work and get a job
- are aged between 16 and 24 (or 25 if you have a learning difficulty or disability)
If you have been applying for Apprenticeships but not been successful because you lack the skills and experience then a Traineeship could be for you.
Do you get paid on a Traineeship?
No, as a Traineeship is not employment. However, your travel expenses to and from your work placement should be paid for by your training provider or employer.
You can also still claim benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance or Universal Credit.
How long is a Traineeship?
A Traineeship can last for up to 6 months but may be as short as 6 weeks. This will depend on your needs.
What are the benefits of doing a Traineeship?
- You will be in a better position to get an Apprenticeship or other job.
- You will have gained work experience to put on your CV.
- You will have improved your English and maths skills which will help your future job prospects.
- You will have gained the skills that you need to be successful at work.
Where do you find a Traineeship?
Want to know more?
- Read the information on Traineeships on the GOV.UK website